AUKMIN is an opportunity to identify areas where Australia and the UK can cooperate more closely in the pursuit of our shared interests, including in the Indo-Pacific region.
AUKMIN is the premier forum for the discussion of high-level foreign policy, defence and security issues between Australia and the United Kingdom. It is an opportunity to identify areas where Australia and the UK can cooperate more closely in the pursuit of our shared interests, including in the Indo-Pacific region.
Commencing today, the Australian Government will host the United Kingdom Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Rt Hon Boris Johnson MP and Secretary of State for Defence Rt Hon Sir Michael Fallon MP in Sydney on Wednesday 26 July and Thursday 27 July 2017 for the 9th annual Australia-United Kingdom Ministerial Consultations (AUKMIN).
Australia has a strong and dynamic relationship with the UK underpinned by our shared heritage, common values and closely-aligned strategic outlook. The UK is Australia’s second largest source of foreign investment—$516 billion in 2016—and our fifth largest two-way trading partner, with $29.1 billion in goods and services in 2016.
Our military ties are deep and long-standing—reinforced over time by our intelligence cooperation, personnel exchanges, participation in exercises and, most recently, through operations in Afghanistan and Iraq.
At this key ministerial meeting with our British counterparts, we will discuss counter-terrorism, the future of Europe, strategic issues in East Asia—particularly the threat from North Korea—and our military operations in Iraq and Afghanistan.
more recommended stories
- SMALL BUSINESS HELPS BUILD NAVAL CAPABILITY
Research funding to pursue of innovative.
- NEW RESEARCH TO PROTECT DEFENCE AIRCRAFT
A big step towards improving the.
- Keynote Address: Australian Business Defence Industry Sovereignty Forum
Keynote Address: Australian Business Defence Industry.
- Defence support to domestic Counter-Terrorism arrangements
Defence support to civilian Counter-Terrorism arrangements
- $50 million for Industry and Defence to work together on Trusted Autonomous Systems
Trusted Autonomous Systems, the Turnbull Government.
- Australian Wedgetail to remain World-best
Minister for Defence Senator the Hon.
- RAAF F-35A Joint Strike Fighter Facilities opened today
Minister for Defence Industry, the Hon.
- Cutting-Edge Protection for Defence
Australian Government to spend $300 million.
- Major milestone for Defence Innovation Hub
The Defence Innovation Hub is crucial.
- Australian Defence Force Assistance to the Philippines
The Australian Government is working with.